So you want to learn Python, but aren’t sure where to start? This page will guide you through the resources available here at Arcus Education. The following is a suggested order, but you can always start in the middle or skip around depending on your experience level and preference.
- Getting started:
- Webinar: Hello World! Your very first computer program
- Webinar: Demystifying Python- Python data analysis for the absolute beginner
- Python Lab for Beginners
- Jupyter 101
- Cloud Tools for the Unconvinced- This article talks about Colaboratory, a Google product that lets you create Jupyter notebooks for Python programming completely online, without downloading anything to your computer.
- Data analysis and visualization:
- More advanced topics:
- Creating network graphs- Intro to NetworkX
- Natural language processing- Natural Language Processing with NLTK and Comparing Parts of Speech with NLTK
- Workflows- Webinar: What is a workflow? Introduction to snakemake and HPC
These resources will just scratch the surface of what’s possible with Python! Ready to take the next steps?
- Consider joining CHOP’s Python User Group
- Start your own project! Try automating a work task (start small!), or ask a research question using some public data sources like OpenDataPhilly, the Census Bureau, or Kaggle.
- Need more personalized advice? Ask for an educational consult by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good luck on your Python journey!